Sunday, January 16, 2011

A little bit of history and my first run of 2011

Yes! Finally after 6 months and 3 days I ran today. I'm not getting into why I didn't run. Didn't run a lot, just 2km in 12mins 56 secs.  My last run was on 13th July in Mumbai where I ran 8km in 45 mins on Marine Drive. Didn't plan to run today as I had gone to sleep at 2am but woke up at 630am and said, what the heck. So I dragged myself out of bed and left for the lake. Walked about 2km to warmup. Then stretched for 10 mins. I always do. It's important but I know many runners who do not stretch. I do active stretching. (more on that in another post)

I could have run another km more but didn't really want to push it. It was fun. I felt free, the wind- in- my- hair- feeling. During the first couple of hundred metres I was a bit creaky, but then got into my stride. Felt exhilarated. Need to get our more often and hopefully all through this week. Just short runs before I build up my mileage. Ended it by doing some passive stretching for 10 mins. Oh and I lost my car keys. 2nd time. Walked another 4km just looking for them, but couldn't find them. So had to call my wife to come with the spare and then had to treat her to breakfast.

At the end of the day, my thighs, calves and ankles are a bit sore. But it's worth it.

So now a little bit of history. In Jan'08, I touched an all time high of 96kgs and actually contemplated going to 100. Then in Feb, I took up a bet with friends that I would get up every morning for the next 5 weeks and go for a walk. I did win the bet, but my friends never kept their end of the bargain and I will not get the winnings, at least not in the foreseeable future. Started out by doing a combination of run/walk. More walk than run. Started by running 400 metres at a time and then built it upto 5km by May. Struggled at 5km bec I was running too fast. Doing the distance in about 24 mins. In July, I joined the Nike Run Club and Runnersforlife in Bangalore and met many interesting people. Within 5 weeks I was at the 20km mark. Unbelievable right! In my entire life I had not run more than 3km ever.

By the end of 2008, I was down to 78kgs. Yes! 18 kgs in 9 months. And no dieting. Just running. Reached many milestones that year; 50 km run/walk; 27km non-stop running. I never felt better. Don't know why I didn't run all those years and all you people reading this, just get out n hit the streets.

Till I stopped running in July'10, I got faster over the years. Cut my 10km time from 1hr 6 mins down to 52mins. My 20km down to 1hr 59mins and my half marathon distance (21.1km) to 2hrs 3 mins.

Well now I have an uphill task. I want to better my 10km time in May but over the past 6-7 months have been smoking a lot. But am confident. Yes! I know I have to stop and have reduced it dramatically over the past couple of days. When I run, I have no urge to smoke. I'd smoke the odd cigarette in the day and a couple on sundays with beer over lunch and maybe a couple if I'd go out in the week for a drink.

Well now I'm back with a vengeance and this time there will be no breaks. Running is a part of my life, just like eating, drinking and breathing.

So here's to more boring posts about my runs.. :-)

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment